Thursday, January 7, 2010

DAY 2 - How Long Is This Going To Take?

I have written a half dozen screenplays and learned that one way to handle the anxiety and fear of beginning a project is to lay out the structure then adapt it as I go along. So I did some simple preliminary research and tried to estimate a length for my novel. Taking Pride and Prejudice as a template I decided on a manuscript length of about 400 pages or approx 100,000 words which should leave me with a finished novel of about 275 - 300 pages. That is a respectable length.

I am still anxious about my prose; my screenwriting history has left me with an overly terse style. I think it may be too lean for a juicy novel read. I will have to focus on developing more depth and detail. I know I will always lean more towards Hemingway than Melville but even Hemingway's efficient prose had beautiful evocative imagery and intensely emotional passages. I must become intensely observant.

I wrote another page an a half of my outline - changed some character details.

No comments:

Post a Comment