Monday, February 8, 2010

Changes to setting - This should help

At first I was very resistent to the idea but I decided to restage the novel in the original (i.e. accurate) time period by beginning in 1930's Philadephia and having the "present day" action all take place in 1987.

I was frightened of the idea of writing a period piece set in the 80's instead of a contemprary novel but I realize that it will be more true to the characters and to the narrative to set it up this way. I went through the first 20 pages and made the necessary changes and will now proceed according to this plan. I had to decide now before things got too convoluted and I am happy with my choice.

I don't know whether this will affect the popularity or marketability of the final novel but it should yield a more accurare and less manipulated accounting of the characters and events. It also gives me the freedom of painting trhe surrounding action with a Reagan era brush which should be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment